An 18-year-old Palestinian died on Sunday after a confrontation with Israeli forces, with the army saying it happened while trying to flee and Palestinian officials saying he had been beaten.
The head of the Palestine Medical Complex, Ahmed Al Betawi, was quoted in the ministry statement as a identifying Sanouber as a ‘martyr’ who was brought to the hospital at 3:00am with ‘signs of violence and beatings on his neck from the back’.
Senior PLO official Hanan Ashrawi said in the statement that Sanouber had been ‘bludgeoned’ by Israeli forces.
Asked about the incident, Israel’s army said soldiers responded to an incident north of Ramallah after rocks were hurled at an army vehicle.
Forces ‘in the area were dispatched to the scene and searched the area for assailants’ the army statement said.
‘Initial details suggest that upon the arrival of the forces… the two suspects tried to escape by foot,’ it said.
It said forces at the scene and army medical teams provided medical attention to the suspect, who was ‘declared dead’ following several ‘resuscitation attempts’.
Details of altercations involving Palestinians and Israel’s army in the West Bank have been harder to access since the Ramallah-based Palestinian Authority ended security coordination with Israel in May.
Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas said the decision was made in response to Israeli plans to annex parts of the West Bank.
On 4 February 2021, the 17th edition of the FIFA Club World Cup™ officially kicked off in Qatar, with…0 Views | the publication reaches you by | Qatar Today
Do you have information you want to reach our readers?